moderated Re: Jaws 2020

Chris Hill

Probably more when you include a decent voice or two and the ocr engine.

On 10/30/2019 11:33, Marty Hutchings wrote:
I am sure that JAWS 2020 is not a half of a terabyte.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13
-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2020

What are you asking?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

500 or 600 GB?

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13
-----Original Message-----
From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:32 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

I for one am glad Vispero has finally left the 90's and early 2000's behind and does no longer send out what to many are useless pieces of plastic especially since in my case I haven't had a PC with a DVD drive for many years.
The Jaws installer has changed some time ago and it is now a fairly small setup program which means it does not contain all the files needed for installation, instead it will download what is required from the web.
This approach is used by more and more software companies, it's been this way with Adobe Acrobat Reader for a long time, Chrome and Microsoft Edge are both installed this way, if you subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 the installer for the Office suite is also like this and so are many others.
The one difference between installers like most of the ones I mentioned above and the Jaws installer is that you can actually keep the Chrome installer or the Edge installer and if you run it a year from now on a new system it will still work and also download whatever is the latest version.
For Jaws you still need to download a different setup program for the version of Jaws you want to install, but since it is only a bit over 40Mb, it only takes a few seconds on most fast internet connections nowadays and another nice thing is that you don't have to worry about 32 Bit and 64 Bit, the installer does both, looks at your system and knows which to install.
The older installer was about 180 Mb, but it still downloaded the OCR component during the installation.
If for some reason you need a full installer or maybe you have a very slow internet connection where it's better to have everything downloaded to your computer first you can still download the entire DVD so to speak, it's I think something like a 500 or 600 Gb download and it is entirely meant to be run offline if needed.

Regards,
Sieghard