moderated Re: Plugins for Windows Media Player

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi Marty,

My daughter wants me to DJ for her 16 birthday this Saturday. Her
play list is completed. I had planned to run the music from a
Windows 10 laptop running JAWS 2019 and Winamp which allows cross
fading of songs, but JAWS does not tell me which screen that I am in
nor does it let me arrow up and down through the play list as it used
to with Windows 7 on my desktop machine. I decided to use Windows
Media Player on the laptop which does let me arrow through the play
list and reads the tracks, but no cross fading feature. Is there a
plugin for Windows Media Player that will do this for me?I tried
looking at the plugin download menu option through the player, but no
joy.Just sound enhancers for surround sound.

You're in luck. You don't need any plugins to crossfade files in Windows Media Player. When you open the player, press control+3 to enable the now playing options view. Right-click or context menu key, then press E for Emhancements. That will bring down a pulldown menu where the first option is "crossfade and auto-volume leveling". If you press enter on that, you'll be in a dialogue with accessible controls: buttons to turn on crossfade and auto-volume leveling, and a slider/track bar for the amount of crossfade milliseconds. From that dialogue, you will hear buttons that say "Click for next" and "Click for Previous Enhancement". The next enhancement after crossfade and auto volume leveling is a 10-band graphic equalizer. It will be on by default. Tab to the button reading, "Set equalizer buttons to move4 independently". You will then see sliders for each equalizer band frequency, from 32 HZ to 16,000 HZ. 0 is flat; 14 is the highest possible value. You can change these both with left and right, up and down arrows.
The next enhancement is play speed settings, and the next is quiet mode, which functions like a compressor/leveler. All the enhancement dialogues consist of accessible buttons and sliders, so have fun enhancing your Windows Media experience, and happy birthday to your lovely daughter.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: ofiol@verizon.net