moderated Re: Seeking recommendations for password managers

Tyler Wood

Hello there.

Just to add a few things here re: key pass, though I am relatively new to it.

Android has a similar setup with key pass droid.

You can use key pass portably with the actual database file stored separate from the portable key pass folder, which is quite handy. E.g. key pass itself stored on your computer’s hard drive with the database file, that being the file that stores all of your usernames and passwords, stored on something like a thumb drive or external hard drive. It, of course, could also be stored on your computer as well.

A few questions I have personally.

Are there any settings that one recommends changing from the defaults? Any plug ins that work exceptionally well or are recommended?

So far, really liking keypass. I don’t like the idea of my passwords in the cloud – to me, it is counter intuitive to store passwords using a service that itself could be compromised – as has happened with 1 password – and this is free. Of course, if the database file gets physically stolen e.g. thumb drive or computer, wherever the file may be stored, that in itself is a problem. So far as I know, however, when passwords get updated on, say, a computer, the file must be sent to the mobile device manually and vice versa.

Hope that helps!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Norma A. Boge
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Seeking recommendations for password managers

Hi alan, this is great info, thanks so much! I’ll definitely be checking keypass out. Best, Norma

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:15 PM

Norma,

Sorry about being a bit late to the party.

I really like Keepass for managing my passwords in Windows. I find it is accessible with Fusion 2019 and JAWS. It is also free and you can read about it at the following link:

https://keepass.info/download.html

It's latest version is KeePass 2.43 which can be downloaded with the following link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/files/KeePass%202.x/2.43/KeePass-2.43-Setup.exe/download

If you use an iPhone or other iOS device, Mini Keepass is the app which works with the Keepass .kdbx database file. You have to transfer the database file to your iOS device either using a Dropbox account or iTunes since Keepass doesn't have a cloud service like 1Password. But it is free.

Here is a How-To Geek article on password managers you might want to read:

https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/

The article might be a bit dated and it is not written from an accessibility viewpoint but it does have some good information. Good luck with the selection process.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Norma A. Boge
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:46 AM

Many thanks to everybody for your suggestions. Norma

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:49 AM

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:43 AM, Robert Cole wrote:

https://www.pwsafe.org/

Seconded in a big way.   It also has iOS and Android ports and allows those versions as well as the PC version to use the cloud as the location for your encrypted password safe file, which is what I do.   Any change I make to my password safe either on my smartphone or any of my computers is reflected on all other devices as a result.

And you can't beat free and accessible.   Password Safe and its ports don't have every one of the flashy bells and whistles of some commercial products, but it's way more than sufficient for my needs and does have quite a few bells and whistles that I don't use.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.

~ Eric Hoffer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.