moderated Re: Stopping JAWS to say 'spelling error'

Steve Griffiths

Hi Gezim,

Yes, I think either will work. You can turn spell checking off in your Word document settings, in which case no errors will appear on screen for JAWS to report, or you can change JAWS settings so that it doesn't report the visible errors.

Whichever you choose, you might want to toggle the setting off while you have a document containing both Albanian and English, and then on again when you have just the English, in order to spell check your translation.

Thanks,

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: 09 October 2019 13:52
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Stopping JAWS to say 'spelling error'

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I work with Word documents with text in Albanian language, which I translate into English. So, I hear ‘spelling error’ before every single word, and you can imagine how annoying and how time-consuming it is! After translating a phrase or sentence, I delete the original, so that only English text remains, and then it does not say ‘spelling error’ any more.

Do you think your suggestions will work for me?

Best regards,

Gezim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Griffiths
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Stopping JAWS to say 'spelling error'

Hi Gezim,

Two things I can suggest. First is to check that the language being checked is the language you're using. If you're using Word 2016 or above, press Alt + Q and type language. DownArrow once to Language, then RightArrow into a submenu. There are two options in it; the first is for the current document only and the second is the default language used to create documents. You will want to check them both.

If you're using an earlier version of Word, to get the default language you can do Alt, F, T. DownArrow to Language and then Tab to the options.

To get to the document settings with an earlier version of Word, press Alt, R, U, L.

The other thing to check is your spelling options. To do this, go into the Settings Center with JAWSKey + 6, then Tab once and DownArrow to text processing, RightArrow to open it and DownArrow to Proofing. RightArrow to open that and then DownArrow through the options, changing them to suit you.

Hope that helps,

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: 09 October 2019 07:39
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Stopping JAWS to say 'spelling error'

Hi all,

At my workplace, yesterday they installed JAWS 2019 for me, but instead of making me happy, it made my work far slower and it was nerve-breaking. That is because while navigating word documents, JAWS kept saying ‘spelling error’ all the time. Is there a way to stop that?

Looking forward to your instructions.

Best regards,

Gezim

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.