moderated Re: accurate item counts in file explorer windows

JM Casey

Adrian…

Are you saying that the status line can either show the count of items on the screen or the count of items in a folder, depending on certain circumstances?

If so, what are those circumstances?

It very 8definitely* shows the complete count of items in the folder for me. I just verified again by opening a folder with over 4000 items. They are counted correctly. And, I’m a little skeptical because I honestly can’t really see the point in having a line that only shows the number of items displayed on the screen rather than the total count.

Maybe it depends on the view of the folder that’s set?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: September 23, 2019 11:58 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: accurate item counts in file explorer windows

Tom,

If insert-pagedown is working for you, that’s what’s supposed to happen. However, for a lot of folders, that count measures only the number of files shown in a screen. It doesn’t show the number of files in the folder, which is often much larger. The method I described, which I learned from Rebecca on the closed JAWS list, enables JAWS users to get both the screen and the folder count.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 10:20 AM

Adrian:

Unfortunately, I was unable to get an accurate file count by switching to Narrator, and then back to Jaws as you suggest.

For me, insert page down seems to be the best way to get an accurate file count, until this bug is fixed.

Of course, I’m always open to other suggestions.

By the way, I always check to be sure my screen is maximized.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 5:36 PM

Dean,

Switch to Narrator, which gives counts for both the current screen and the entire file list in a folder. Switch back to JAWS, and JAWS is now likely to report the desired information.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 7:11 AM
Subject: accurate item counts in file explorer windows

It seems to me there was a solution to this little problem, but I can’t remember it. JAWS 2019 in Windows 10 gives inaccurate counts of files.  It will report that a given file is 1 of 25, when in fact there are many more than 25 files in the folder. I have changed the item type of the folder, to no avail. NVDA does this fine. The file is maximized. Is there a known fix?

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.