moderated Re: Laptop updating

Randy Barnett

It depends on the laptop. some are very easy to get to the RAM and HD bays some are almost impossible. Based on my experience with dell laptops though you should be able to do this yourself. There should be a screw or two holding a panel in place on the bottom of the laptop. One for the HD bays and one for the RAM. Sometimes you can get to both under one panel. it varies from laptop to laptop.

Just put in the new SSD and leave the old HD disconnected while you install win 10 then connect it and you will have access to everything on it and can delete all the old windows directories.

On 9/17/2019 1:07 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Good afternoon all,

With the talk regarding windows 7 and 10, I recently noticed my laptop is windows 7, as well. I will update this to windows 10 and although being a Dell XPS 15Z model, it is as slow as a herd of turtles comparing to my desktop which has a SD HD. I’ll be putting in a SD HD, upgrading the ram from 4 to 8 and therefore, my question...

When I take the SD HD and have it as main and then use the older 7200 HD as a back-up drive, is this more difficult and I should have a computer store do the work or is is all this work able to be done? I will have unprofessional sighted assistance and have worked on and built tower systems but with the laptop and the smaller size, is this more than I should attempt?

Also, I would be attempting to do all the shuffling of information from the old hard drive to the new SD with the latest version/update of Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all comments,

Rick