moderated Options dialog boxes in Office 365

Van Lant, Robin

I switched to Office 365 and also to JAWS sometime around the beginning of 2018.  Before that I was a Window Eyes user.  I have noticed something about how JAWS reads the choices in the Options dialog box for all Office products that I find challenging.  I’m not sure if this started when I started using one of these products or with an update to one of them.  I’d like to know if others have found a way to change this behavior or if others agree that it is challenging and warrants a change request to Freedom Scientific.  Here’s the issue:

Use Alt F, then T to open the Options dialog box.  Arrow up and down to select a  panel of options.  From here, we tab through all the choices for that group of options.  Microsoft has these choices on each panel arranged in groups with headings.  As I tab, JAWS is reading the heading before each option.  In some cases the heading is long, so I have to wait to hear the whole heading before I know which option I’m on.   Some panels, like the mail options panel in Outlook have a really long list of choices, so it’s a really tedious process to get to the option I want to change if ti’s far down in the list.  This used to not be the case, but I don’t’ recall when I noticed the change.

What are other’s opinions of this behavior?

Robin

Windows 10, Office 365, JAWS 2019

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114