moderated Re: Need help with an Excel formula

Shirly,

That's great that my post helped you get your spreadsheet working again. And we're never too old to keep learning. I think the real problem is losing the desire to keep learning.

When you're ready to do next month's spreadsheet, I would suggest starting with your September version, saving it with an October name, inputting the September ending balance in this October spreadsheet, deleting the September input in the October sheet, and you should be ready to go. That may or may not be the same procedures you normally do. Fortunately, with Excel, many different procedures can lead to the same result so you can pick whichever one works best for you.

All the best with your Excel efforts and may your account balance remain high and in the black.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 9:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need help with an Excel formula

Hi Allen,

You must be reading my spread sheet. 😊 Absolutely on base. Thank you. That’s just what I wanted.

I have manually put in the starting balance (from the prior month), but the calculations were in error after that, so I knew something had to be wrong. That’s when I tried keying in the formula instead of copying it from sheet to sheet. Same problem. But what you gave me is just what I needed. Thanks.

So you really can teach an old dog new tricks. I’ll be 74 next month and I’m still learning.

Shirley

PS Thanks to everyone else who responded.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2019 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Need help with an Excel formula

Hi Shirley,

What might be wrong with your formula is hard to diagnose with the information you've provided. I'll state what I think your bank debits and deposits spreadsheet looks like and we'll go from there. I suspect row 1 is your column headings and that column D contains debits, column E contains deposits, and column F contains a running balance. Assuming you use a different spreadsheet for each month, I would suggest that cell F2 be the opening balance for the month which should equal your closing balance from the previous month's spreadsheet. I personally would manually input the starting balance for cell F2 because I'm not a big fan of using formulas to bring amounts from other spreadsheets. Row 3 should contain the activity for the current month so the formula in cell F3 would be =(F2-D3+E3). I expect columns A through C contain date, description, and some other text field but those don't have formulas and don't seem to be giving you a problem.

I would check to make sure your opening balance in cell F2 is a manually input number and then I would input the formula I provided above into cell F3 and go from there. If you're still having problems, make sure columns D through F are formatted as numbers.

Good luck.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2019 2:11 PM
Subject: Need help with an Excel formula

Hi Listers,

First, I do not fully know how to use Excel like many of you who probably use it for work. But I do use it for keeping our Writers Club’s roster and my bank account spread sheets. I used to have a formula that I could use in keeping a spread sheet of my bank debits and deposits—balancing my account. The formula I was given was =(E3-D3)+F2 and it helped me keep account of the totals when putting in debits and credits. Used to work great. Now, however, when I start a new monthly spread sheet, I get a message that the formula I key in is an error. I don’t know if something has gotten erased from the formula I had in my original file, or if the formulas have changed over time. Otherwise, I have no need to learn Excel. Can someone just please help me with this formula or tell me what might be wrong?

Thank you.

Shirley

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.