From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 12:15 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: Simple Economics 101 Was: Cracked

Freedom scientific is a company that emerged from the combination of three
existing access technology companies at the beginning of the last decade.
Richard Chandler reportedly came up with the idea as pricing power became
more problematical for his previous company, Sunrise Medical. A starting
point for anyone interested is a 2001 Accessworld article at
http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw020102in

Even in a capitalist system, industries are treated differently from others
if they are deemed essential to a functioning community. Electric, gas and
water utilities are subject to varying degrees of regulation. Capitalism
promotes initiative, and disabled people have benefited from so many
accessibility initiatives, among them screenreaders. But people like Juan
and Wogg, who seem to be saying that JAWS has the attributes of a utility in
the lives of disabled people, do raise valid concerns.