moderated Re: access and jaws

Glenn / Lenny

When that is all one has, you help them as you can.
The only real security issue with such old software is importing scripts into Excel, and nobody I worked with did this, and the software they choose is up to them.
But if someone buys software, they should have the right to keep using it, and not have to switch to something that is harder to use because MS needs to satisfy their stock holders.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: access and jaws

Hi Glen, can you please stop complaining about Microsoft and Jaws doing all this horrible stuff with almost 20-year old unsupported software? What you choose to do is your choice, but the fact is that Office 2000 has been unsupported for a long time. I would even go so far as to say that if it is your job to set people up with accessible computer systems it is completely irresponsible to even install such software on their new Windows 10 compuers.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 9:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

I had installed 2000 on a client's computer for him, on his Win 10 computer, and he was getting along great for what he needed it for, and then Microsoft uninstalled it with an update.

That is a shame on Microsoft.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 11:46 AM

Glen,

As you stated, you use it by choice but one thing is for sure, there will come a time when it simply won’t work any more. I actually think Office 98 was better than 2000 so why not go back to it? Oh, right, it won’t run on a Windows 10 PC.

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 9:44 AM

Hey come on,

I own two licenses for Office 2019, but I used Office at work, and I hate it.

I like the Office 2000, it does what I need it to do, and there is no reason for me to pollute my computer with the latest and fakest.

I do use Libra Office, which is free, and does not force a new learning curve.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 11:39 AM

Come on stop. Office 2000 is approaching 20 years old.

Are you telling me that your PC or whatever other equipment you’re using is also that old.

No one’s dismissing the prohibitive cost of technology, software or the constrained budgets the majority of the blind community has to deal with, but this comes off as a totally disingenuous and specious argument.

There are countless ways to obtain a more current version of office. Some I and others have brought up on this and other lists.

I don’t think I’ve paid more than $10 for a stand alone office 2016 license. These can be had on eBay for this and much cheaper. It’s completely legitimate and above board too. Has to do with some EU regulations and the deprecating of computers. It’s also been brought up many times the office 365 subscription model.

I haven’t bothered looking into it, but I’m sure office 2013 or even 2010 licenses can be had for even cheaper.

At this point, if anyone’s still running and depending on office 2000, it’s because they want to. Not because they have to.

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 9:19 AM

Sieghard

There are lots of programs other than Microsoft that require the latest in screen access, such as browsers and audio programs, to name a couple, so that is why we all should have the latest, but we all cannot afford it.

So I think that you misunderstand that as well.

I believe that if the latest NVDA can work with older versions of MS products, and older Jaws can work, then there is no reason for the later Jaws to not keep on working with older Microsoft software that it used to work with.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 11:01 AM

Hi Glen,

I fail to grasp why you expect Vispero to support versions of Office which have long been unsupported with their latest Jaws version? They have their hands full keeping up with all the changes which Microsoft made in Windows 10 and newer versions of Office with respect to screenreader access and trying to support something like Office 2000 would be an entirely inappropriate waste of their time.

I did misunderstand what you said thinking you meant Jaws 2019 did not work with new versions of Excel which it does perfectly well. It is of course up to you if you want to use Office 2000 or 2003 or if people still feel they need to use Windows XP simply because they are afraid to learn something new, but Vispero certainly does not need to support operating systems and software which is no longer supported by Microsoft for the last 10 years or more. Even Office 2007 and 2010 count among those, Office 2013 which is already a lot more like Office 2016 is probably still supported, but even Windows 7 will soon be at the end of its life (can’t remember the exact date I think next year) and Vispero’s efforts right now are very much focused on the future which is Windows 10 and Office 365 and the new deep level hooking which replaces the old accessibility display driver since that technology no longer gets all the information from Windows 10 it needs. This is a big reason why in Windows 10 the Jaws cursor often cannot see/read anything, but there are some improvements in later builds of Jaws 2019 and in Jaws 2020 we should expect some pretty significant improvements in that area which will be fantastic.

I don’t understand why you feel you need the latest version of Jaws when on the other hand you are using a version of Office which is 6 versions old and which was released almost 20 years ago. You already suggested the solution which is to use an older version of Jaws and since any number of Jaws versions can live together on the same PC you can simply use Jaws 2018 or Jaws 18 for your ancient Office version and if you want the best web browsing experience load up Jaws 2019 and use it with Chrome or the new Edge Beta.

Regards,

Sieghard

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.