moderated Re: JAWS versus NVDA on Kindle PC

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 06:59 PM 9/4/2019, David Goldfield wrote:
As long as you are running version 1.19 or later of the Kindle app JAWS
should provide the same level of accessibility as what you're
experiencing with NVDA. I actually would not recommend downloading an
earlier version with Amazon's accessibility plug-in. If my memory is
correct that won't really give you full screen reader accessibility with
the virtual cursor, which is what you probably want if you're using JAWS
for reading your Kindle content.
I have the latest version of the Kindle app. However, reading results are extremely inconsistent with JAWS. Sometimes, nothing on the screen is read. Other times, the reading of the book gets to a certain point beyond which no navigation key commands or continuous reading will advance the text. It's as though there is no more text on the screen but the current page. At those times, I've tried page up and down, control+page up and down, control+end, etc., all customary ways to advance through a document. But nothing works.

Did you download the app directly from
Amazon's Web site or did it originate from a third party site.
I downloaded it from Amazon.

As a side note the one exception for when you would want to use an
earlier version is if you're using Codex, which allows you to convert
Kindle content into plain text format which will allow you to read the
content using other programs or even other devices, such as being able
to use Voice Dream Reader on your iPhone to read a Kindle book.
My good man, are you saying that I could use Codex to convert Kindle content to plain text, thereby obviating the reader altogether? I would love this option. Where can I download Codex?

Orlando Enrique Fiol