moderated Re: top posting (was re: MalwareBytes Adware Tool

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM, JM Casey wrote:
*do* include that message you are replying to, though, so that we can all see it. Many of us don't store old messages from these lists for longer than a day.
Well, we'll have to disagree on this.   The custom here is top posting, for the most part, leaving a trail of quotation multiple days deep afterward, which makes it insane when someone is trying to search the archive for original content.

If only the single message or message segment were included, I'd definitely say go for it, but that's not going to happen.

Anyone who's been following a topic through its lifespan is likely to know what's being replied to if it's an immediately previous message, anyway.   I'd love to see people delete all content except that which is being retained for context, like my top quote of one line from your message or the interspersed reply method you mention.  It's an easy matter when you hit the Reply button to do a CTRL+A followed by delete to remove all extraneous content not necessary for context preservation, but that's not going to happen, either.

         ~ Eric Hoffer