From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 9:32 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Windows updates

It’s also important to recognize that those who delay the installation of updates are more vulnerable to the exploitation of security issues that are fixed by the updates.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Date: Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 11:17
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:26 PM, Denise J Moses wrote:

Does it not update until you restart your computer or does it do it if you aren’t around to tell it what to do?

Denise, what I suggest is the next time this message comes up that you take the time to read the entire message text, as there have been (and probably will continue to be) some changes recently.

In virtually all cases, it will tell you that a restart is required and that you can elect to restart now or, if you don't, the computer will restart itself outside active hours.   You set active hours in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update pane.   If you're on Version 1903 there is a button for Change active hours, if memory serves prior to 1903 it is a link that has the same click-through text as the button does.   If either is activated, you are taken to a dialog where you tell Windows the hours during which you do not ever want the computer to restart itself for an update if a restart is required.   It will only restart itself outside those hours.   Personally, I very seldom wait for the automatic restart outside of active hours.  I prefer to gracefully close what I'm doing if that's reasonable and do the restart myself.

Also, with the advent of Version 1903 you get a lot more control over updates in general.   Right now there is an optional cumulative update (KB4152941) that has a Download and Install link on the Windows Update pane not unlike what's being presented for Feature Updates now, which allows the user to decide if they want to do exactly what the link says.

Mind you, if you put off updates again and again and again there will come a time when they will be applied automatically by Windows.   This is part and parcel of Windows as a Service and, as a service technician, I strongly support that measure by Microsoft.   A huge number of the smoldering heaps of what remained of systems I have been called to fix in the era prior to Windows 10 could be traced to having blocked updates, many of which are essential.   It's never been put better than this:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

        ~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

Also, if you are having repeated issues after updates are applied, that strongly suggests issues in your current Windows 10 installation that need to be addressed.   The easiest way to do this, though it is work, is to do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10 so that you know you have a solid foundation upon which ongoing updates can be placed:

           a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

           b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

It's a major effort at the outset, but it makes life so much easier going forward that it's very much worth doing.

         ~ Eric Hoffer