moderated Re: Windows updates

Hi,

And it could get a bit easy… or rather, a bit hard to explain the ins and outs of recent changes, because we (Windows Insiders) are dealing with not one, not two, but three preview build series at once. Basically, not everyone on a given cohort (ring) are testing Version 1909 features, and if they do, they can’t switch to other preview cohort. This is because of the nature of Version 1909: it’ll be a different build number than Version 1903, but as far as servicing goes, it’ll be identical to 1903; a given cumulative update package for both releases will be able to resolve bugs in both releases at the same time. The difference comes down to internal flags used to enable or disable 1909 specific features, the most obvious feature for screen reader users being the ability to mute notification sound without resorting to enabling focus assist.

As for an update and restart notification: yes, Windows will notify you.

As for turning off updates through various means: no, not even a stock installation of Pro will do it; you need Enterprise or Education, or get a Pro machine hooked up to a Windows Server domain where updates are distributed by computers running Windows Server operating systems (via Windows Server Update Services or System Center Configuration Manager). As far as editions go, Pro is considered a “consumer-level product” – additional features on top of Home, such as ability to join a Windows Server domain, Hyper-V, and as of version 1903, Windows Sandbox. Just like Home, a given feature update for Pro will get 18 months of support, by end of which you will find your computer is running whichever feature update is out by then; as someone stated best, “you’ll get the inevitable”. On the other hand, Enterprise and Education will get at least 18 months (note the difference in my phrasing); that is, some feature updates will get 18 months of support, while others will get a longer support duration; there is a specialized version of Enterprise that will see a feature update supported for up to ten years, but that is because Enterprise LTSC (long-term servicing channel) is meant for mission-critical devices.

As for updates messing up JAWS settings: multiple factors might be involved, including hardware drivers, JAWS not reacting to change quickly enough, or Vispero knowing about bugs but needing time to resolve and test fixes. Part of the reason why you get frequent JAWS updates is to keep up with changes, which is happening in a flash; the flash will go off faster on Insider Preview builds because things come and go without notice (if you want proof, just follow me on Twitter; I guarantee that almost every week, you’ll see me post announcements about Preview builds and some assistive technologies).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Windows updates

You can't permanently turn off updates regardless of the version you're running (if you're a consumer, not a government or similar).

As of version 1903, all editions of Windows 10 give quite a bit more control about how and when updates are downloaded and applied.  What I find perversely funny is now that the control (or at least a large part of it) that many were crying for has been given, there is now an equally vocal group decrying the fact that updates are not as automatic as they were in earlier versions of Windows 10.

When it comes to update methodology, Microsoft is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.

~ Eric Hoffer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.