moderated Re: Which Browser Works Best With JAWS?

JM Casey

So far in my experience, if you are signed in, you will be presented with a checkbox, which you activate, and then are pushed through to whatever webpage requires the capcha.

Of course you can do this in Firefox also, but Chrome keeps you logged in to your google account, always, until you specifically log out, for better or worse.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: August 31, 2019 1:57 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Which Browser Works Best With JAWS?

re-captcha thing?

You mean there is a way to do that if you are always signed into Google?

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2019 12:55 PM

I agree with most everything you’ve said, but I would just add that there isn’t really a universal answer to the OP. You should really have Chrome and Firefox on your system and use them both as needed. Really not enough difference in how you actually *operate* each browser to claim that there isa  disadvantage in having and using both of them.

I mostly use Firefox as well, but some sites do work better in Chrome. Youtube is *much* more responsive in Chrome on my Windows 10 machine, for instance, and yes, it’sa  google service, so I suppose that makes sense. Being signed in all the time is alright if you need to use the re-captcha thing. But therea re indeed privacy concerns that make me lean a little heavier on firefox, even though it is not quite as snappy and really takes forever to load very large pages into JAWS virtual buffer (not 100% sure that is the issue, but it’s definitely a pain).

Anyway, tldr: use both of them.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Csercsics
Sent: August 31, 2019 10:03 AM

I like the new edge, but firefox murders it for customization. So if you’re the type that likes to tweak your browsing experience, firefox, otherwise the new edge dev is really stable, and I could recommend it. There’s also the edge beta channel. I tried Chrome for a bit when I had Android, but I find I don’t need the sync features anymore since I don’t really browse the web on mobile anyway, because I just don’t like touch screens that much, and I don’t need to be constantly signed into google services. But if you need google services extensively, then chrome is great. I haven’t found much that doesn’t work with Firefox, at least nothing that doesn’t work off the top of my head, so I wouldn’t worry too much about compatibility, but if you care about monopolies, or privacy or customization or keyboard shortcuts, then firefox is probably still winning for you. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.