moderated Re: Excel and jaws;

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Seighar & List:

I meant excel stores the date internally in a firm that seems to make sense to the developers of Excel yes, you can format the date many ways.

All spreadsheets have internal date formats that make sense to their developers.

One point I am not familiar with is whether any spreadsheets have a common date format should you ever want to Import dates from a different spreadsheet, such as from Quatro Pro into Excel.

Brian K. Lingard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 11:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Excel and jaws;

What do you mean by “Microsoft has its own whacky internal date format”? How a date is displayed in Excel is entirely up to what you select it to be, here are some examples of today’s date:

Friday, August 30, 2019

8/30/2019

8/30/19

08/30/19

August 30, 2019

30-Aug-19

2019-08-30

8/30

30-Aug

August-19

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: Excel and jaws;

Dear David & List:

Is the column you are entering dates in defined as being a date column?

Microsoft has its own whacky internal date format.

Brian K. Lingard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf of David
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 12:08 PM
Subject: Excel and jaws;

Good afternoon all; perhaps someone can help me.  this is from one of my clients.

I wonder if you had a suggestion about a problem, I am having with excel. I have gone through all of the help info with no luck at all. I don’t know if you can help but here it is. Excel does not recognize date formats as numbers only as text. When I enter a date in a date column, I need it to be recognized as a date in order to sort them to put them in order. I have no luck in using the date value or value function getting an error that my formula is wrong. I have gone on the internet and have had no luck with support.microsoft.com and it isn’t a disability issue for Microsoft accessibility help. Is there something I am missing? Do you have any suggestions ?

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.