My name is Aimee and I have just joined this group. Looking forward to sharing knowledge.This topic interest me a good bit. I am starting School soon for computer science. I have some useable vision and will be utilizing a Microsoft surface pro with CCTV software. The CCTV will primarily be used for math and math/statistics classes. Along with the CCTV software package, I will be using Jaws, Duxberry, Kurzweil, open book, word, Excel, outlook, browsing, writing and compiling programs, Various math writing and processing applications, firebird braille graphics, and video recording lectures. I think that is it.  I will frequently be using several of these at the same time  while video recording math lectures.

With that said, I am advocating for the surface with a core i7 and 16 gigs of RAM.  My previous computer has malfunction and is not repairable. I have found a CCTV on the market based off the Microsoft surface. I don't want to have a bazillion different devices. If I can get a portable cctv and computer all in one, I would prefer that. My previous computer was a Lenovo yoga 900 with a core I seven processor and 16 gigs of RAM as well as a 512 GB solid-state hard drive. Thus I feel the core i5 with 8gb of Ram would be going backwards.  I think the core I seven model of the surface will be necessary for productive schoolwork especially considering the simultaneous use of video magnification and distance video recording of lectures along with Jaws and who knows what else at the same time. Am I correct in my assumption of the necessity for the core i 7 16 gigs of RAM surface Pro? I don't necessarily want to go backwards in my equipment either. The Lenovo was purchased in 2016. So, it is not really all that old. I welcome any and all thoughts and suggestions. Is there anyone out there currently engaged in computer science/programming either in school or working who could add some insight here? If yes, please chime in.  All thoughts and insights will be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Aimee

On Aug 29, 2019, at 4:03 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via Groups.Io <steven.hicks@...> wrote:

It largely depends on what you are doing which wil determine the performance impact e.g. if it is a lot of network work, a faster processor won’t necessarily make a huge amount of difference.

If it is a lot of disk IO, an SSD over a traditional drive is likely to make a better performance improvement than a faster processor.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: 27 August 2019 22:14
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New computer specs

My Dell Aurora R3 from 2010 with a 4th gen I7 running at 4.0GHz with 16GB ram and a SSD is just as fast and capable as my new 8th gen I5 dell XPS with the same specs.

I have 2 other dell laptops and they are over 10 years old now. They are slow and I dont use them anymore but they are still working.

My point is high end PCs from several years ago are still just as capable as ever...

On 8/26/2019 7:32 PM, David Moore wrote:

I bought an low end Asus computer at Walmart, and it is five years old, and is more snappy now than it ever was with new versions of Win10. I quit buying high end computer years ago, because I had the same problem of them falling apart faster than cheap Walmart ones LOL!

I never had a dell last past a few years. My HP and Asus, both dirt cheap, are lasting and working much better than my expensive Dell computers ever did LOL!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10