moderated Re: New computer specs

David Ingram

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jason White via Groups.Io" <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io>
Sent: Aug 25, 2019 5:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New computer specs

If you're using OCR extensively, you may notice. Likewise if you're a software developer who compiles large programs frequently, or you're doing something else that is computationally intensive. Otherwise, the CPU probably isn't the performance problem.

´╗┐On 8/25/19, 15:55, "Tyler Wood" <main@jfw.groups.io on behalf of tcwood12@...> wrote:

Benchmarks tell an 8th of the story. In every day performance, it means nothing. Slow to one person may not be slow to another and that $500 extra spent on the i9 processor wouldn't be noticeable to anyone but a tech enthusiast or someone who does heavy processing work, and would make more heat, thus likely lessening the laptop's lifespan. This isn't so much the case in a desktop with adequate cooling, where these days stock clock speeds hover right around 5 ghz, which even in our rapidly changing computing era, will last for years and years and again, 99% of people don't take advantage of 20% much less 100% of the power of their processors.