moderated Re: New computer specs

David Ingram

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jason White via Groups.Io" <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io>
Sent: Aug 25, 2019 5:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New computer specs

If you're using OCR extensively, you may notice. Likewise if you're a software developer who compiles large programs frequently, or you're doing something else that is computationally intensive. Otherwise, the CPU probably isn't the performance problem.

´╗┐On 8/25/19, 15:55, "Tyler Wood" <main@jfw.groups.io on behalf of tcwood12@...> wrote:

Benchmarks tell an 8th of the story. In every day performance, it means nothing. Slow to one person may not be slow to another and that $500 extra spent on the i9 processor wouldn't be noticeable to anyone but a tech enthusiast or someone who does heavy processing work, and would make more heat, thus likely lessening the laptop's lifespan. This isn't so much the case in a desktop with adequate cooling, where these days stock clock speeds hover right around 5 ghz, which even in our rapidly changing computing era, will last for years and years and again, 99% of people don't take advantage of 20% much less 100% of the power of their processors.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: August 25, 2019 2:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New computer specs

No. i9 is just higher than i7, the generation number is still the same, with all the newest ones starting out with 9's.

I wonder if an i9 in a laptop could even outrun an i5 in a desktop of
the same generation? That's the silly thing about all of this, my 7th
generation i5 laptop was barely able to get a better passmark cpu score
than my 4th generation i5 desktop. Both are still adequate performers,
especially running ssd hard drives and plenty of ram. I'd take an i9 if
someone were handing them out for free, but I wouldn't spend extra for one.

CH

On 8/25/2019 14:05, James Homuth wrote:
> I9 is a newer chipset than I7. 9th generation, I believe, though I may be slightly off on the naming scheme. Reviews say the performance difference between the two is fairly significant, though.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
> Sent: August-25-19 3:03 PM
> To: main@jfw.groups.io
> Subject: Re: New computer specs
>
> More info on the Processor please: I am assuming I9 is a typo as I3, I5 and I7 are what I am used to seeing. Then there are differences between various I5 processors. I7 is for 3D video games and video editing and
> I5 is more for business PC's like what we do. I have a 8th gen I5 K witch is an unlocked processor that can be ran at any speed I choose.
> Currently I am running it at 4.0GHz. I have ran it as high as 4.3GHz.
> But without water cooling in this rig I was worried about overheating although I didn't see any.
>
> I3 is for cheap entry level PC's. Dont bother with them.
>
> On 8/24/2019 10:33 PM, David Ingram wrote:
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Andrew Diederick <andrew.diederick@...>
>>> Sent: Aug 24, 2019 11:21 PM
>>> To: main@jfw.groups.io
>>> Subject: New computer specs
>>>
>>> Hello all.
>>> Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
>>> I9 processor
>>> 16 GB ram
>>> 256 GB SSD
>>> NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
>>>
>>> I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of these specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should make certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
>>> Appreciate any advise.
>>>
>>> Thank you-
>>> Andrew
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Don't forget about a usb keyboard just in case your laptop doesn't have a full keyboard layout semular to a desktop system would but also check to see if the ram could be upgraded to 64gb ram of course. Remember you still have to allow jaws to have a significant amount of ram to run in the background while other processes are going on.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I wrote, see if 32gb or 64gb should work because if you're using jaws and the latest version, you'll need ram just because jaws does use a nice amount of ram. Not to mention if you're using other screen reading programs.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.