moderated Re: New computer specs

James Homuth

I'd be inclined to agree, but then, I do most of my computer usage with a headset these days, and have a dedicated speaker system that used to be attached to a desktop for when I'm at home, so I honestly forget what the audio quality of my current rig is. LOL Still, most users--even most JAWS users--could probably get by with somewhere around 8 GB of memory as long as they've got a decent processor. However, most users are probably also going to want to consider upgrading in a couple years, at least the RAM. The same hardware won't run the same apps in the same way in 5 years, no matter how many times you wipe the drive.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: August-25-19 3:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New computer specs

Performance is a relative term.
What sort of performance is being sought?
It's important to know where one is looking for improvements over their current system.
Whenever someone has asked me advice for buying a computer, my first question is, what are you going to be doing with it?
Gamers will benefit from a fast processor and performance video and a fast Internet connection, meaning the network card.
Others will benefit from a ton of storage. It may be good to have several internal large drives for storing media.
One thing here that has not been addressed, is the form factor of the computer being sought.
The keyboard may be tactilely bad, may not have needed keys for screenreader use, and the audio quality is too important.
I think these things are more important to look at than processor and video.
Glenn