moderated Re: New computer specs

James Homuth

I9 is a newer chipset than I7. 9th generation, I believe, though I may be slightly off on the naming scheme. Reviews say the performance difference between the two is fairly significant, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: August-25-19 3:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New computer specs

More info on the Processor please: I am assuming I9 is a typo as I3, I5 and I7 are what I am used to seeing. Then there are differences between various I5 processors. I7 is for 3D video games and video editing and
I5 is more for business PC's like what we do. I have a 8th gen I5 K witch is an unlocked processor that can be ran at any speed I choose.
Currently I am running it at 4.0GHz. I have ran it as high as 4.3GHz.
But without water cooling in this rig I was worried about overheating although I didn't see any.

I3 is for cheap entry level PC's. Dont bother with them.

On 8/24/2019 10:33 PM, David Ingram wrote:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Aug 24, 2019 11:21 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: New computer specs

Hello all.
Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
I9 processor
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of these specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should make certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
Appreciate any advise.

Thank you-
Andrew

Don't forget about a usb keyboard just in case your laptop doesn't have a full keyboard layout semular to a desktop system would but also check to see if the ram could be upgraded to 64gb ram of course. Remember you still have to allow jaws to have a significant amount of ram to run in the background while other processes are going on.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.