From: "Tyler Wood" <tcwood12@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: New computer specs

I remember those days, though it has been quite some time.

Intel hd graphics is more than sufficient these days. I remember when having
a dedicated GPU helped screen reader performance in web browsing - but this
isn't the case any more - and if you have no use cases for a dedicated card,
put that money towards warranty, more ram, or drive storage. Everyone goes
on about how horrible Intel Atom processors are, but my t100, 5 years later,
still gets 20 hours of batterylife, still does the basic tasks, and cost me
less than $500 when I bought it. I will preach this. Solid state drives are
99% of your performance gains these days. Processors don't mean anything if
you have a spinning drive to go along with them if you are being
bottlenecked by your mechanical hard drive. That is not to say they are no
longer valid. I back up to them regularly. But expect them to fail - solid
state technology has come so far that this is far less likely with them,
though it can still doubtlessly happen, just like anything else, and backing
up is something far too many take for granted.
I'm very happy I got Lenovo 3 year on site and tech replacement warranty as
well as accident protection. I got this machine at a fantastic price,
though, otherwise I was looking at the Dell Latitude series. The really nice
thing about this machine is despite how thin it is, the back comes off with
just a few screws, and the ram, storage, wireless card, battery, and fans
are readily available, which makes it nice and easy if I need anything
replaced.

From: Richard Turner [mailto:richardturner42@...]
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Sunday, August 25, 2019, 12:59 AM
Subject: New computer specs

The only reason to have the faster processors is if you are editing large
audio or video files and multitasking with some processor heavy software,
which most people do not do.
And, if I remember correctly; which may be a big if, those graphic cards he
mentioned have been problematic with Jaws.
Unless he has some software that is requiring it, which would be surprising.
I will never go back to a standard HD drive after using my SSD drive now for
a year.

Richard

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Aug 24, 2019, at 9:52 PM, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

´╗┐Hi,
This is completely, 100% true.
Although using a solid state drive in 2019 is almost a must - at least for
those that have experienced one. But so far as other sspecs are concerned
there are too many people out there that equate an i7 or i9 to being better
and that simply isn't true for just about 99% of use case scenarios.
Now that I look back at the specs, what are you needing a dedicated Nvidia
Graphics card for in particular? Intel hd graphics does just fine so far as
Jaws is concerned.