moderated Re: New computer specs

Tyler Wood

Hi,
The GPU does not free up the processor whatsoever and, in fact, is a
completely different animal than a processor.
The GPU in your machine may not, in fact, be used if you are getting 15
hours of batterylife. There is something called Optymous technology from
Nvidia that when used, allows the independent graphics card to power off
while the dedicated Intel HD graphics does its thing, and that sounds
exactly what is going on in your use case.
Few people seem to realize that shift f10 performs the exact same action as
applications key - and barring that, you can use sharp keys to remap a key
to the right of the space bar to that if you so choose.

Regarding the comment about an SSD not lasting long - I have a Toshiba
laptop here from 2012 that still has 85% of its life remaining. In that time
I have had 5 mechanical drives fail, without warning, and only 2 of which
made any actual noise to tell me so. These days if a laptop or computer in
general does not shut down, you will get a message popping up on screen from
your screen reader if you have it set to run at log on, telling you the
following programs are still running in the background and giving you the
option to shut down anyway or cancel. The benefits of a solid state drive to
batterylife and speed are so beyond amazing compared with a spinning
mechanical drive. Expect the machine to boot in less than 30 seconds
regardless what programs run at startup - add another 15 or 20, maybe, to
get said programs running. You can start using the machine as soon as the
screen reader is running, no more waiting to get to the desktop to check a
simple email or modify one line in a word document. Resuming from sleep
happens in less than 1.5 seconds these days.
Far more pluses than drawbacks, in my view.

Just my $.02!