Re: Simple Economics 101 Was: Cracked

cecropia64

i think the whole thing is that when someone has a label put on them such as "blind" or"disabled", all bets are off and the companies who make products for that very specialized market have a field day with it. they know we need many of their products and i don't think they really care too much as long as they sell what they make. but if someone in their realm of reality gets hit with the same label, they react very differently. then everything is too expensive and they think it's unfair. funny when the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?

On 2/4/2012 1:41 PM, deadcatbounce wrote:
I don't believe that FS is publically traded.
----- Original Message ----- From: "wogg le4" <woggle4@gmail.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: Simple Economics 101 Was: Cracked

Are FS's accounts available publicly? What profit margins does it make on jaws?

On 2/4/12, wogg le4 <woggle4@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree with your description of the advantages of price discrimination.

However, your "piracy is greater in 3rd world countries" argument is
1 Overbroad, it is true in some countries but by no means all,
2 May not apply to blind people ... How many significant pirates are
blind? Will pirates really concentrate on a product like this instead
of a mass market programme DVD whatever?

Even if it were correct, it would only cut revenues if there was a way
of getting the pirated copies from the 3rd world, into markets where
the company makes money currently, to undercut the price.

Your post also ignores the human rights dimention. For the blind,
computing is a human right these days.

Do you really think that copyright law is going to continue in its
current form? When you look at torrents etc., I say the writing is on
the wall.

Will there be copyright in the future? Yes but it will be
significantly different and more permissive.

Finally, does your moral outrage extend only to me or would you
support a petition re the 3rd world, aimed at FS?

If not, then I think you're focusing on the symptem and not on the disease.

On 2/4/12, Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@kutakrock.com> wrote:
Although it may be a little further down the course selection than 101,
it
is an accepted principle of economics that a firm which can discriminate
in
price will make more money than one which cannot.
Those who can pay more are charged more. Those who otherwise couldn't
pay
the high price, pay less. So, the firm makes more money on those who can
pay and makes incremental revenue on those who otherwise wouldn't buy. I
could demonstrate this geometrically, but that's a little beyond the
purpose
of this list.
The above principle would suggest that Freedom Scientific would be smart
discriminate in price.
There are, however, certain so-called externalities and assumptions that
tend to undermine the price discrimination strategy for profit
maximization.
First, for price discrimination to work, there can be no possibility for
arbitrage, e.g., ability for the buyers in the low-price jurisdiction to
sell into the high price jurisdiction in competition with the firm.
Second, this assumes equal background regimes. The discussion on this
very
list points out the problem. It is generally believed, rightly or
wrongly,
that regard for copyright rules and laws is less in third world countries
than is the case here. So, firms often believe that for every one
legitimate copy of a product sold into a third world country, ten illegal
copies will be made. So, the price is adjusted accordingly. The effect
of
the piracy is to increase the price ten times (over simplified).
I'm not making this up. I'm a tech lawyer, and I've heard all the above
actually articulated.
So, unfortunately, that's the way it is.
As much as you would like to help the puppy by extracting the thorn from
its
paw, it is still likely to bite your hand while you are in the process.