moderated Re: Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

Dave Durber

Hello Chris:

I just checked the hard drives serial number, on the Western Digital web site, and discovered, that the drive is over five years old, it has served me well. So, off to hard drive heaven it goes.

I have decided to order a 3 TB hard drive, which is the same size as the external drive which has the data recovered from the defective drive. When it comes, I will use Image for Windows to copy the partitions stored on the external hard drive to the new internal hard drive, which will save time in initializing, partitioning, formatting and then copying the data.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

Hello. Sounds like you did the right things, except for one. If a drive gives you errors, and you manage to fix it using the process you used, you may not want to trust it again. Hard drives are cheap, and data is hard to replace. I had a drive in a laptop that failed in a similar manner to yours. I was able to write zeros to it and get it going again. Six months later the whole disaster began again with another bad sector in a bad spot making it unreliable. I finally put in a new drive and restored the backup. That was the true fix to the problem.

Good luck.

CH

On 8/24/2019 09:35, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello John

Thank you for your suggestions. In addition, I would also like to thank others on this list for their suggestions.

It has beena week or 2 since I posed my original question.

Later that day, a friend came round and after I told him my problem, he said that he had the Ontrac data recovery software on his system. I took the drive out of the particular computer and, along with that hard drive, an additional USB hard drive and a USB 2.5/3.5 inch docking station we went to his house.

Please note: the latest version of the Ontrac Data Recovery software, is not accessible to any screen reading software. I tried it before my friend came to my house.

Once he had run the Ontrac software and performed a scan on the troublesome hard drive, to my enormous relief and enormous good luck, he was able to recover all the data on the drive and copy it to the spare hard drive. The software, did report some problems with some sectors on the drive, fortunately, there was no data in those sectors.

When I got home, I reinstalled the hard drive in the computer. As the hard drive is a Western Digital hard drive, I downloaded and installed their Data Lifeguard software.

As I had all the data from the drive stored on another drive. I decided to choose the option to write zeros to the entire drive, in effect, returning the drive to the state it was in when I purchased it. The function completed successfully, with no errors.

Once that was done, I used the windows Disk Management utility, to initialize, partition and format the drive.

I then used CHKDSK, with the /f switch, to check the drive. It came back with no errors.

I restarted the computer and used CHKDSK, with the /F switch again, and again, the program came back with no errors.

I restored the data from the backup drive to the original drive. So, everything is back to normal.

I will check the drive regularly to check reliability.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Covici" <covici@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

I would get smartmontools and see what it says about your drive.
Also, a great utility for disk repair is spinwrite at www.grc.com.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 06:00:21 -0400,
Dave Durber wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I have a system running Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT, which I
intend upgrading to Windows 10 when I get a new Motherboard for
it. I have JAWS 2018 installed on it. In addition to the CD-DVD
ROM, it has a 120 GB SSD, which is the system drive, and 2 1 TB
Hdd Drives, which ar F and G.

Yesterday, when I started the system, I tried to log onto drive
g. Windows reported a drive error. Of course, being Windows, the
operating system did not tell me what type of error was affecting
the drive, only that Windows could not access it.

I ran CMD, and in the DOS shell window, I used CHKDSK with the /f
switch. CHKDSK, reported that it could not attempt to scan the
drive because of a drive error and closed itself and returned me
to the DOS Shell window.

My question is, is anyone on this list, using a good disk repair
utility, which is accessible using JAWS
At present, I have no idea, as to whether the problem is with
the partition, its format or the problem is with the files which
hold the information about the data stored on the drive.

Any Suggestions please.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.