moderated Re: JAWS 2019 not reading numbers properly
I already have the JAWS settings set to the ones mentioned in your mail.
Also, this problem of JAWS treating digits appearing before & after a comma as seperate sets of digits happens only when in say all mode. This problem does not happen when reading line by line.
Mr. Sameer Latey
From: Mike B
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: JAWS 2019 not reading numbers properly
Howdy Mr. Latey,
Try the following:
Note: If you want to make these settings in a particular application / program, then open the application / program & open the Settings Center while in
the application / program & skip step #2. If you want these settings for all applications follow all the steps below.
1. Open the Settings Center with, Insert / Jaws key + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard.
2. Press, Control, Shift, + D, to open Setting Center default all applications.
3. Arrow down to, Text Processing, & right arrow to open.
4. Arrow down 1 time to, Number & Date Processing, & right arrow to open.
Note: If you want the date to read correctly when it's in a number format, arrow down 1 time to, Numeric Date Processing, press the spacebar to toggle
through your options, & stop when Jaws reports, Some Translation.
5. Arrow down 1 time to, Number Processing, press the spacebar to toggle through the options. Stop when Jaws reports, Controlled By Synthesizer.
6. Arrow down to, Speak Single Digits, right arrow to open, arrow down to, If Number Contains, press the spacebar to toggle through the options, & stop
when Jaws reports, Controlled By The Synthesizer.
7. Arrow down to, If number contains dashes, this box needs to be checked.
8. If you want dollar & cents amounts reported correctly, arrow down to, Speak Dollars, & make sure this box is checked.
9. Tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, tab to, Okay, press enter to save your changes & close the Settings Center.
Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.
----- Original Message -----
To: JFW Group
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2019 11:49 PM
Subject: JAWS 2019 not reading numbers properly
When reading numbers seperated by commas, JAWS will speak the digits before & after the comma as if they were seperate sets. For example, when reading 7,000 it will read 7 & 000 with a small pause in between instead of reading it as seven thousand. This happens only in Microsoft Word & not in Wordpad, Windows Live Mail or in browsers.
I am using JAWS 2019 on a Windows 10 machine with Office 2016. Also, this problem does not happen when using JAWS 18 on the same machine.
Kindly advise how I can stop JAWS from speaking the digits before & after the comma as seperate sets of digits.
Thanking all in advance for any assistance.
Mr. Sameer Latey