moderated Re: jaws on a different audio device

Kevin Minor

Hi Daniel.

I don’t have access to JAWS now, but I think I still can point you in the right direction. You can indeed set JAWS to use a different sound card then the Windows default one. Here’s what to look for. Before I tell you what to do, however, you need to be careful, because you could accidentally set JAWS to where you can’t hear it, so try to learn the keyboard shortcuts to get it back to the Windows default sound card if necessary.

Go into the JAWS windeaow, or the menu if you have it in your system tray.

Now, look for the Utilities menu. This may be under the options menu, I don't remember, but it's either there or in the main menu.

Once there, look for sound card, or something like that.

Under this menu, you will find the different sound card that JAWS can use. Select the one you want. Once selected, it may take a few seconds to take, so don't panic if you don't hear any speech for a little bit. If it seems to be real long, and you still don't hear anything, get JAWS back to the default card and try again. This is why it's important to memorize the keyboard shortcuts to get speech back in case of this situation happening.

Eventually, you will get speech out of the card you want, so long as it's one that JAWS recognizes. Here's another thing to keep in mind. Sometimes the sound card may have a bit of a cryptic label in JAWS, so you might have to guess at it, especially if you have multiple cards, and if one of them has more than one entry in the list.

That's all there is to it. A nice feature that I wish JAWS had is to hit a shortcut key to get sound back where it was last working. Maybe it does now, but it didn't when I did this a few years ago.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Kevin and Jilly

On Aug 22, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Daniel Wolak <danielwolak97@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm using jaws on a system that has multiple sound-output devices, and
am just wondering if there is a way to route jaws speech to a different
device than the windows default?

Thanks,

Daniel