moderated Re: One space between each sentence, they said. Science just proved them wrong. was RE: Esoteric punctuation question.

There exists scads of research out there in regard to what makes text more (visually, not machine) readable.   It's pretty well known that serifed fonts are easier for humans to read than ones without serifs.

I thought it was actually kind of amusing to read the linked article passionately screaming that one space was enough and to find myself having a harder time reading it as a result.   Single spaces in proportional fonts are often very narrow, as they generally only need to be when separating words, but that makes them insufficient for separating sentences to my visual taste.

There are certain feuds that will never be settled.  This is one of them.  I'll continue using two spaces after a full stop before commencing my next sentence, thanks.

         ~ Eric Hoffer