From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of wogg le4
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 11:42 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Simple Economics 101 Was: Cracked

So you're really saying that you would rather starve than steal food?

You're "simple economics" is a little over simplified.

What it doesn't take account of is the opportunity cost.

There are many people, in the world (perhaps not in the US) who can't
afford to buy this.

Not people who won't pay, people who genuinely can't pay.

Now, JAWS developers make nothing from those people. Why? Well because
they can't pay.

However, the current pricing structure means that those people don't
have access to a computer, in real terms.

Computing may or may not be a human right for the general community. I
say that computer access very definitely is a human right for the
blind.

Without it, our interactions with the outside world are severely restricted.

Why won't FS offer reduced price versions of the programme in say the 3rd world?

Their failure to do so make's the lives of milions of blind people poorer.

On 2/4/12, cecropia64 <cecropia64@att.net> wrote:
good point. i still don't like some of this stuff, but i certainly do
get it.

On 2/4/2012 12:12 PM, Farfar and His Beamer wrote:
Richard,

I like your style.

To amplify what I believe cecropia64 was saying: The price charged for a
product is based on what it cost to develop, what it costs to duplicate,
what it costs to support, what the employees earn in salary, what it costs
to rent the building, what the next version will need for development,
etc.;
all divided by the number of copies to be sold.

A rather large amount of investment for a fairly small (in Windows or
Apple
terms) user community. We are after all a niche community of users so a
large cost borne by a small group = high cost per copy. Simple economics.

Dave Carlson
Sent from somewhere in the Western United States, using a Dell Latitude
E6520 and Windows 7