moderated Re: Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

JM Casey

Just a suggestion, but, if the programme is a command line utility, you could run it without speech, get it to generate a report file that you can look at later, then issue whatever repair commands the programme has available afterwards and, you know, cross your fingers. :D

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: August 11, 2019 6:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

I'm sure you can still find Jaws for Dos around, if you want/need it. The Talking Dos Box is one thing that is packaged with it. I haven't really played with this though. I originally got it so I could play Eamon Deluxe games (a qbasic port of the Eamon adventure system for Apple II), but it's just one of the many things I can't seem to be bothered to spend a lot of time fiddling with.

From: Gerald Levy via Groups.Io [mailto:bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Sunday, August 11, 2019, 10:40 AM
Subject: Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

The GRC web site clearly refers to the latest version of Spinwrite as,, "Spinwrite 6.0 for Windows XP".?? It does not mention Windows 7, 8 or 10.?? Further research reveals that it has not been updated since 2010.?? So how could it work with a modern computer? On the contrary, it might actually do more harm than good.?? Running a program that has not been updated in almost ten years is just a bad idea.

Gerald

On 8/11/2019 10:20 AM, John Covici wrote:
I don't think you use it with Windows at all, but check the website for more information.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 06:55:14 -0400,
Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Spinwrite??? Are you serious??? My understanding is that Spinwrite does not work with versions of Windows higher than XP.?? Have you used it successfully with Windows 7 or 10?

Gerald

On 8/11/2019 6:34 AM, John Covici wrote:
I would get smartmontools and see what it says about your drive.
Also, a great utility for disk repair is spinwrite at www.grc.com.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 06:00:21 -0400,
Dave Durber wrote:
Hello Everyone:

I have a system running Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT, which I intend upgrading to Windows 10 when I get a new Motherboard for it. I have JAWS 2018 installed on it. In addition to the CD-DVD ROM, it has a 120 GB SSD, which is the system drive, and 2 1 TB Hdd Drives, which ar F and G.

Yesterday, when I started the system, I tried to log onto drive g. Windows reported a drive error. Of course, being Windows, the operating system did not tell me what type of error was affecting the drive, only that Windows could not access it.

I ran CMD, and in the DOS shell window, I used CHKDSK with the /f switch. CHKDSK, reported that it could not attempt to scan the drive because of a drive error and closed itself and returned me to the DOS Shell window.

My question is, is anyone on this list, using a good disk repair utility, which is accessible using JAWS At present, I have no idea, as to whether the problem is with the partition, its format or the problem is with the files which hold the information about the data stored on the drive.

Any Suggestions please.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

.