moderated Re: I have some questions concerning using a braille display with JAWS, specifically the Focus Blue 40 5th Gen, and want to know of other braille display lists out there.

JM Casey

HI.

Information about using braille displays seems thin on the ground, perhaps because it’s such a niche thing.

I have recently come into possession of a Focus 40 (not 5th gen) and a Brailliant 80 braille display, and, like you, have only had quick ‘n’ dirty experience with using a braille display and JAWS /connected to PC until now, at least since the old Dos days.

I have not found any tutorials to speak of, and not sure you’ll have any better luck, but if you do, I’d be a little curious to see what others have to say. Best you can probably do is ask questions, like you are doing now, and see what others say. What I have found is that braille + PC is a unique experience that is going to be tailored to individual user preferences. So, best thing you can probably do on your own is read all the documentation, and then experiment, and see what you like. While there doesn’t seem to be a ton of information out there, everything is very configurable. And the JAWS documentation is pretty easy to understand.

There is a braille display users list:

Braille-displays-users+subscribe@groups.io

There seem to be a lot of Focus users there.