moderated Re: I am looking for the following type of laptop

I am not Tylor, but I bought an Asus Zenbook with a 15 inch touch screen about two and a half years ago. Obviously you would have to look for whatever is the current model, but I really like this laptop. It was, however, expensive at the time I paid about $2,000 Canadian for it. I assume partially that was because of the 4K touchscreen display, turns out I really never use it, but at the time I was curious to try.
It is a very nice looking laptop as well, at the time it came with an Intel I7 sixth generation CPU, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb SSD.
It has 1 USB port on the left which can also charge a device like a phone when the laptop is turned off and two more on the right and there is also a USB-C port and an HDMI port. It has one 3.5mm headphone jack which can also be a microphone jack if you were to use it that way, but I never use a 3.5mm microphone any more so it never bothered me and many laptops nowadays don't have two 3.5mm ports any more.
The other nice thing about this laptop is it's battery life, despite the larger screen it gets about 8 hours which of course depends on what you do.
The keyboard is the traditional US style with two Alt keys, a Windows and FN key on the left and an application key on the right. There is a full numeric pad except that the Jaws/Insert key on the numpad is not double wide as is the case on a full desktop keyboard, instead the Insert key is underneath the number 2 and next to it under the 1 is already the right arrow key. This is the only thing which takes a bit of getting used to and of course there are no gaps between F4 and F5 and F8 and F9, but I don't think I have ever seen that on a laptop. It is a very nice keyboard to type on, but then again one should expect a nice keyboard on a $2,000 laptop.

Regards,
Sieghard

----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I am looking for the following type of laptop

Hello Tyler:

Thank you for the recommendation. I have some questions for you:

Is the laptop you have, the top of the line for that particular model.;

Is the CPU, an AMd or Intel

What is the speed of the CPU;

Is the HDMI the only means to connect to an external monitor;

How many USB ports does it have: Are they all USB 3.0;

Does your machine have a US Keyboard layout? Does it have a numeric keypad, If so, can you use the JAWS desktop commands, both with and without the insert/jaws key;

What version of Windows 10 is installed;

How many 3.5 sockets are there, for earphone/speakers, external microphone and line in

Did you buy it on line, if so, will you please post the URL;

and, if you do not mind disclosing the amount, how much did you pay for it because, I want a laptop which is going to last me for several years, maybe for the remainder of my life.

Thanks in anticipation.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: I am looking for the following type of laptop

Hi,
You'd be in the market for a ggaming laptop, which most likely meets your
needs.
I own a Lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme which can hold 2 solid state drives.
Note
that a 1 tb solid state drive can now be found for less than $100 - and
the
speed is so very worth it. So in theory, you could have 2 1 tb drives
installed in there. I'm not sure what your budget is - but it's a very
solid
machine that will last me for years to come. The keyboard is absolutely
fantastic, the build quality is top notch and it's very, very serviceable.
Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: July 29, 2019 10:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: I am looking for the following type of laptop

Hello everyone:

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or
have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but
also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data
files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with
no
success.

Any ideas?

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.