moderated Re: compression apps

JM Casey

Ah.

So it’s probably the jpegs taking up most of the 1+ mb filesize.

In that case, you probably won’t see much more reduction. I don’t know much about 7zip as I never used it extensively, but winrar and the old pkzip and winzip programmes let you choose between different levels of compression. “Normal” was/is usually checked by default. You can set “best” if you want and see if there’s much difference. I don’t know why this option isn’t the default nowadays because it doesn’t take most modern PCs long to zip o r rar up large amounts of data, but that’s still the case in winrar as well. Still, I just have to select the appropriate item in the dialogue box and hit enter and, there you go, it’s done.

Still think though that you won’t see much result if the file is full of pictures. How small do you actually want to make this thing?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: July 31, 2019 3:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: compression apps

This is a Word Document with inserts as .jpg images...

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 3:02 PM

It depends on the type of file. For stuff that is already compressed, like mp3s or jpgs, you will not see much reduction at all. But for text, the difference should be significant.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: July 31, 2019 2:59 PM

I attempted this. I went from 11.8 Mb to 11.3 Mb. Should I not have more reduction or is this it?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:20 PM

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.