moderated Re: I am looking for the following type of laptop

Dave Durber

Steve:

When we moved to the UK, we brought all our existing keyboards, which are the US Layout. We do not want nor wish to constantly have to change keyboard layouts, between a laptop with a UK keyboard and an external US keyboard, depending on what we need to use at the time.

Another reason I prefer to have a laptop with a US keyboard, is that I have the ability to use both the left and right alt keys to perform functions. The UK keyboard has only one alt key, which is the left alt key because, the right alt key, is configured as a combined alt+ctrl combination.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: I am looking for the following type of laptop

I still want to know why changing the keyboard layout in Windows won't get you what you need.

On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello Steve:

I like having the single and double quote on the same key. On a UK keyboard, the @ sign and double quote are swapped round.

If the ENTER key is vertical, the \key is moved to the top row, to the left of the BACK SPACE key. If the ENTER key is horrizontal, the \ key is above the ENTER key

On a UK keyboard, the \ key, is generally to the left of the letter zed, thus making the left shift key, the same size as an alpha numeric key. I am used to having a wide left shift key.

As I said previously, given time, I could and would get used to the changes but, I just prefer the US keyboard layout.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Matzura" <number6@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: I am looking for the following type of laptop

Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently? Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.