moderated Re: what setting is needed to read links character by character

Bill White

Hi, Rick. You might want to use JAWS key plus six on the numbers row, do a search for Smart Navigation, and make sure this is off.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: what setting is needed to read links character by character

repair fixed nothing. The tech guy at FS told me you are not able to go through a link character by character and I found tha odd since I was able to do this in the past on all sites and when the indeed problem became an issue, I soon noticed the inability to read a link character by character, as well. I'll try the previous version of jaws but to be honest, this is not the problem since the latest version of 2019 worked fine up to a couple weeks ago. There has been nothing added to this pc during this tenure to be the cause. I just have run out of ideas and with work, just do not hae time to go through the web finding hopeful fixes. Thanks nevertheless

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: what setting is needed to read links character by character

Sorry Rick but I can and always have been able to arrow character by character through links.

Something is definitely wrong with your Jaws install. Did you do a repair or try jaws 17? To help any more we really need to do this for troubleshooting your issues.

Jaws 2018 was a major redesign of how jaws interacts with windows and browsers so sometimes 17 will work when newer versions wont. Although at this point it is most likely a corrupt jaws install.

On 7/23/2019 7:05 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hi Richard, Again, I have the smart navigation box un-checked... This also began with my headache with indeed.com... no ideas...

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: what setting is needed to read links character by
character

I think you nailed it. I'm not using Smart Navigation mode and I can simply use the standard arrow keys to read links character by character.

Jaws 2019 Windows 10.
Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to
the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art,
it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how
to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life,
The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:51 AM
character

Also, I could read links character by character by just using the numpad keys. However, I just checked and I was able to read a link character by character by using the regular cursor keys.

It seems like you might have this problem if you are using Smart Navigation mode which I am not using. You can see a description of Smart Navigation and how to read links using it in the JAWS help.

Take care and have fun!

Debby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Chris Hill
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:36 AM
character

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.