moderated Re: what setting is needed to read links character by character

Randy Barnett

Sorry Rick but I can and always have been able to arrow character by character  through links.

Something is definitely wrong with your Jaws install. Did you do a repair or try jaws 17? To help any more we really need to do this for troubleshooting your issues.

Jaws 2018 was a major redesign of how jaws interacts with windows and browsers so sometimes 17 will work when newer versions wont. Although at this point it is most likely a corrupt jaws install.

On 7/23/2019 7:05 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hi Richard, Again, I have the smart navigation box un-checked... This also began with my headache with indeed.com... no ideas...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:35 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: what setting is needed to read links character by character

I think you nailed it. I'm not using Smart Navigation mode and I can simply use the standard arrow keys to read links character by character.

Jaws 2019 Windows 10.
Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:51 AM

Also, I could read links character by character by just using the numpad keys. However, I just checked and I was able to read a link character by character by using the regular cursor keys.

It seems like you might have this problem if you are using Smart Navigation mode which I am not using. You can see a description of Smart Navigation and how to read links using it in the JAWS help.

Take care and have fun!

Debby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:36 AM

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.