moderated Re: Jaws 2019 blocking desktop shortcut keystrokes

As I said, it's interesting that shortcuts for me seem to work fine and as somebody else said, they experience this also with NVDA and Narrator so it may not be Jaws.
On the other hand while one shouldn't have to employ such work-arounds, in this case I think the work-around is a much better solution

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2019 blocking desktop shortcut keystrokes

Thanks Sieghard, but as you say that doesn't solve/answer the issue at hand; but is a good work around.
It is just that one shouldn't have to do a work around for something this basic.

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

On Jul 21, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

I know this is a work-around or a different way of doing things and not a solution to the specific issue, but why not put your main applications on the taskbar where you can access them with Windows Key + Number, e.g. if Google Chrome or IE is in the first position on your taskbar Windows Key + 1 will open/activate it, if Outlook is in second place Windows Key + 2 will work here etc. These are reliable and give you the added advantage that if for an application like Excel or Word you can open the application with Windows Key + corresponding number, but you can also bring up the program's jumplist with Alt + Windows Key + corresponding number. I, for example, always have at least half a dozen spreadsheets or so pinned to my jumplist in Excel and this way I can open any one of them quickly and easily.
If you have an app like Notepad pinned on the taskbar you can also use Shift + Windows Key + corresponding number to open a new instance of the application. For example, let's say I have Notepad in fourth place, I press Windows Key + 4 to open it. Now let's say I want another instance of Notepad in addition to the one I already started, I just press Shift + Windows Key + 4 and a new instance of Notepad opens.
Having said all this, I just put Outlook on my desktop and created the shortcut Control + Shift + O and it worked for me without a problem. I have also a shortcut for my Synology Drive which opens the folder on my hard drive where I sync the files on my Synology NAS to and it is Control + Alt + D and it's been working fine now for many month.
My Jaws shortcut, Control + Shift + J also works.
I think these are all the shortcuts I have since for all my applications I use the taskbar shortcuts as described above.