From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: July 16, 2019 2:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do you activate the Windows key to search for something
with JAWS on a Focus keyboard?

Hi.

As everybody knows, there's more than one way to skin a cat, although that
cat might not like it. Anyway, Dean got me thinking about how to access the
Start menu. In current versions of Windows, just hitting the Windows key by
itself will do this. However, I go back way back when Windows 3.1 was out,
and I had a PC XT that ran DOS 3.0. Anybody remember how the books about
DOS said how great EDLIN was? For you newer folks, trust me, it was
horrible. Anyway, when Windows 95 came out, the start button was
introduced. You could, like all current Windows flavors, use a mouse or
other kind of interface where you just activate that button and the Start
menu came up. However, for us happy DOS users, Windows still did, and does
now, carried much of the keyboard commands to activate the icons and buttons
on the screen. Deans note reminded me of just such a key combo. If your
keyboard doesn't have a Windows key on it, never fear. Just hit CTRL+ESC,
and that nice little search edit box appears. I'm willing to bet Jilly's
next kibble that this will also work on the Focus input as well. I don't
have my Focus 40 Blue yet, but either at the end of the month or the very
beginning of the next I'll get one, and I'll try to once again learn how the
goofy input works. It's not hard to do, because I did it in about 15
minutes using the key describer mode in JAWS.

That's it from me. Thanks, Dean, for you jogging my memory. Now, if I can
figure out a way to simulate hitting the ALT key so I can get into the top
level of the menu structure, I'll be really happy. I think there's a way to
do this, but I don't remember how to do it.

Have a blessed day, and don't work too hard.

Kevin and Jilly