moderated Re: Some braille questions

Marianne Denning

I don't like to use the small braille displays for reading books. 12 or 14 cells aren't enough cells for heavy reading. I take my FOcus 40 with me as a portable Braille display and it works great.

I can't answer your other question since I have never used NVDA.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 12:18 PM David Csercsics <bleeblat@...> wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, and I don't intend
to start a flame war or anything of the sort, but I have a couple
questions. I have a Brailliant BI 40, and I prefer to use braille for
everything. The main thing I'm having trouble with finding out is the
state of Jaws refreshable braille support. I'm currently using NVDA with
the braille extender add-on, and it seems to do quite a lot. Jaws
braille support looks quite good, but I wonder which things it does
differently or possibly better than my current setup. I read quite a lot
of different things, some of which are quite technical, i.e. math,
logic, computer science, philosophy and that sort of thing, so I was
wondering if a Jaws subscription would be  worth the trouble, or not.
The difference isn't obvious just playing with it. Yes, a lot has to do
with personal preference but I was just wondering if I'd missed
something. I've always heard that Jaws had the best braille support of
any of the screen readers and I've decided to look at it and see what's
up. Also, for those that use braille a lot, do you find it helpful to
have an extra display to carry around? The BI 40 seems to be reasonably
compact for a 40-cell display and seems to work well, but sometimes I do
a lot of traveling, and wondered if a smaller display would be worth the
trouble. I have large hands though and I like the 40 cell displays a
lot: I find it's a good size. But again, was there something I didn't
consider? I have an iphone 8 plus, which I quite like for reading books
when I'm out, but do these newer smaller displays have anything I'd care
about, or would I just end up wearing out the panning buttons and my
hands? Thank you for reading this.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053