moderated Re: Excel Formula

John Covici

How do you type these smart quotes?

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 12:57:34 -0400,
Mario wrote:

left quotes and right quotes ar smart quotes. for example, left quote, I
said that, right quote. the quotes are rarely referred to as curly quotes.
the left quote is actually like or close to a smaller left parenthesis
with a water droplet on the top half of the symbol pointing down, and
the right quote is a smaller version of the right parenthesis with a
water droplet at the bottom half of the symbol pointing up. in both
symbols, the water droplet is a part of the left or right small
parenthesis.
the concept is, the left quote marks the opening to what someone said,
and the right quote is the closing of what someone said.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Richard Turner [mailto:richardturner42@...]
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 12:30 PM
Subject: Excel Formula

So Mario, which one has smart quotes?

Jaws speaks them the same to me.

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The
knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

From: Richard Turner [mailto:richardturner42@...]
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 12:02 PM

I’m not sure why Russell’s instructions didn’t work for me, but I did
the following and it worked.
In b101: =COUNTIF(B2:B100,"Yes")
IN b102, =COUNTA(B2:B100)
In b103, =B101/B102

To test this, I put a Yes in b2 and No in b100.
I got 1 as the result of yes’s, 2 in the result for number of cells with
data in b102, and .50 in b103 which then switching the number type to
percent, got 50.00. I did not bother changing the decimal places from
the default.

HTH,
Richard

Check out my web site at:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C0d3d893b497f40b286ef08d6fa52afb0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636971630370466862&amp;sdata=t4P9ngoprfyq5VkbYdTfOzNj8%2FyhMepM2dlNI0nWQVQ%3D&amp;reserved=0<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C0d3d893b497f40b286ef08d6fa52afb0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636971630370466862&amp;sdata=wSbsazxpgdNeSTKDzjt9QKMsjIz8fSIlQexyjLq%2BEcE%3D&amp;reserved=0>