moderated Re: Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

James Homuth

Yeah, see, I’ve done that with this machine and it’s looked at me like okay, what else you got? That’s how I know it’s not the PC. I’ve also run VM’s on here with Exchange, SQL server and the like for school, and the thing wasn’t even breathing hard. You’re trying to tell me it can run a Windows Server 2012 VM with resource-hungry Exchange, but it can’t run latest JAWS? I’m not buying. LOL

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: June-24-19 10:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

Sad.  You really have to watch laptop processors.  I bought a "gaming" laptop that is about a year and a half old with a 7th generation core i5, and it is barely faster than this 5.5 year old desktop with an i5-4430.  If you want to keep a laptop a long time, buy the fastest processor available at that time.

I don't really think being logged into multiple servers is going to push a processor all that hard.  Running ocr on a big batch job or using something to make the audio level consistent on a huge batch of mp3 files will really push a system.

On 6/24/2019 09:23, James Homuth wrote:

Eh. It’s just about 4 years old. I’ve had desktops acting as servers that have lasted longer (last one was 8 before the motherboard finally gave it up). It lets me log into multiple servers at once and doesn’t choke, which is probably a good benchmark for anything. At any given point the only casualty is JAWS, and only versions of JAWS that auto restart. Hand me a version that doesn’t have the auto restart functionality and it’ll run like a champ.