moderated Re: Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

Hi James,

Definitely not an age where I would be too concerned, I have an Intel NUC mini PC at my store which has an I5 4th generation processor and yes, laptops and the mini PC’s do use the CPU’s which are not as fast as the unlocked ones you can put in a desktop with a 500 or 600 Watt power supply, but then again for me at my business where I have 4 PC’s running all day every day it actually makes a noticeable difference in electricity use whether I have 4 desktop PC’s or 4 mini PC’s which at most use 60 or 65 Watts, in addition if the power goes out which sometimes happens up here in northern British Columbia, they run a lot longer on a simple, inexpensive 800 Watt UPC.

In any case, the point is that at least for me Jaws 2019 crashes or restarts itself extremely rarely, I found that about a year or 2 ago this problem almost disappeared under Windows 10 and with Jaws 2018 and 2019. I am not saying it never happens, but certainly a lot less often than before. I even still have an Intel NUC I3 and even though it’s a fifth gen so one generation newer than my i5, it’s super slow even for my sighted staff without Jaws. But this will not be an issue for much longer since I just purchased and received its replacement an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 mini PC which has an I7 8700T processor, 16 Gb of RAM and a 512 Gb SSD. This will become my new PC in the office and my current PC which is exactly the same but with an I7 sixth Gen CPU will go downstairs to replace the I3 Intel NUC. I must say that I am much more impressed with the HP mini PC’s than the Intel NUC systems, granted the HP is a bit bigger, but still very small and quiet. This new one even has again two 3.5mm front panel ports, one for headset/speaker and one for an external microphone, all the other ones I have just have a combo port. It also has a front panel USB-C port, two USB 3.1 ports and in the back 4 more USB 3.1 ports, dual monitor ports and a connector for an external WiFi antenna. These HP computers also have a built-in speaker although the quality is not great and I’d only use it in a pinch.

I do plan, however, to completely reinstall Windows 10 from scrap on it, I checked Apps and Features and there are an amazing 15 HP-related programs installed and I really don’t need all that junk. Just extracted the Windows 10 product key on Saturday and today I’ll reinstall Windows on it.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 7:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

Eh. It’s just about 4 years old. I’ve had desktops acting as servers that have lasted longer (last one was 8 before the motherboard finally gave it up). It lets me log into multiple servers at once and doesn’t choke, which is probably a good benchmark for anything. At any given point the only casualty is JAWS, and only versions of JAWS that auto restart. Hand me a version that doesn’t have the auto restart functionality and it’ll run like a champ.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: June-24-19 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

Well, it is getting on in years.  I'm guessing it is in a laptop since my i5-4430 desktop is about three times faster even though it is a generation older.  Unfortunately, buying a laptop often means you get a nice looking box with a slow processor in it.

On 6/24/2019 09:01, James Homuth wrote:

Core i5-5200U at 2.20 GHZ. Pair that with 8 GB of RAM. It’s not screaming, but it takes a lot to make this machine sweat.

Sent: June-24-19 9:37 AM

Very interesting.  How slow is this computer?  What processor are we talking about here?

On 6/24/2019 07:57, James Homuth wrote:

I do this for a living. Trust me, my PC is very stable. Also I did say I can do the exact same things with JAWS 14 and the software doesn’t crash. JAWS has been repaired, uninstalled, reinstalled, upgraded, then reinstalled again just for amusement. To fix another issue the OS was reinstalled not all that long ago. Trust me. It’s not the PC.

Sent: June-24-19 7:33 AM

That's the strangest claim I've ever heard.  I suspect your pc is unstable, you might want to start with a check of the hard drive using chkdsk.  If that passes, scan it for viruses and malware then reinstall jaws if none of that helps. 

On 6/24/2019 05:46, James Homuth wrote:

Here’s the situation. My PC is not as fast as it could be. It’s also going to be replaced just as soon as I have the financial room to do it. But it’s not unstable, by any means—just sometimes it likes to take a couple seconds longer than it should to do certain things. The problem is, and I notice this fairly consistently, JAWS likes to assume it’s the problem when my PC does that, and so will kill itself, try and restart, and basically throw me off of whatever I’m working on. I was right in the middle of reading something tonight, the backup process kicked in, and JAWS committed suicide. Keep in mind, JAWS was perfectly stable. My system was perfectly stable. Just the CPU had run up above 50% for a few minutes.

I’d stuck with 14 for as long as I did because of that “feature” (for those with them disabled, the word “feature” is in quotes), but the list of currently available programs that 14 will still actually work with gets shorter on the daily. So I upgraded. Admittedly mostly for Office 365 (my work uses Exchange, and the newer versions of Exchange don’t work with Outlook 2003), but being perfectly honest the ability to use things like Chrome doesn’t hurt either.

My question: have they invented a way yet to tell JAWS not to have such an inferiority complex? I mean I get it—2019 isn’t exactly a bug free release, but the biggest reason if you’re me for JAWS taking a dive isn’t because it’s having a problem, but because it’s assuming it’s having a problem. It makes finding the actual problem slightly more annoying than it needs to be—I do have NVDA on here, but by the time I get that loaded whatever hung the system and tripped JAWS up has stopped hanging the system and JAWS has tripped for nothing. Any suggestions, or are we stuck waiting to see if FS realises that not every issue can be solved by restarting the program, particularly when the program being restarted isn’t the issue in the first place?

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.