moderated Re: Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

Hi James,

Definitely not an age where I would be too concerned, I have an Intel NUC mini PC at my store which has an I5 4th generation processor and yes, laptops and the mini PC’s do use the CPU’s which are not as fast as the unlocked ones you can put in a desktop with a 500 or 600 Watt power supply, but then again for me at my business where I have 4 PC’s running all day every day it actually makes a noticeable difference in electricity use whether I have 4 desktop PC’s or 4 mini PC’s which at most use 60 or 65 Watts, in addition if the power goes out which sometimes happens up here in northern British Columbia, they run a lot longer on a simple, inexpensive 800 Watt UPC.

In any case, the point is that at least for me Jaws 2019 crashes or restarts itself extremely rarely, I found that about a year or 2 ago this problem almost disappeared under Windows 10 and with Jaws 2018 and 2019. I am not saying it never happens, but certainly a lot less often than before. I even still have an Intel NUC I3 and even though it’s a fifth gen so one generation newer than my i5, it’s super slow even for my sighted staff without Jaws. But this will not be an issue for much longer since I just purchased and received its replacement an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 mini PC which has an I7 8700T processor, 16 Gb of RAM and a 512 Gb SSD. This will become my new PC in the office and my current PC which is exactly the same but with an I7 sixth Gen CPU will go downstairs to replace the I3 Intel NUC. I must say that I am much more impressed with the HP mini PC’s than the Intel NUC systems, granted the HP is a bit bigger, but still very small and quiet. This new one even has again two 3.5mm front panel ports, one for headset/speaker and one for an external microphone, all the other ones I have just have a combo port. It also has a front panel USB-C port, two USB 3.1 ports and in the back 4 more USB 3.1 ports, dual monitor ports and a connector for an external WiFi antenna. These HP computers also have a built-in speaker although the quality is not great and I’d only use it in a pinch.

I do plan, however, to completely reinstall Windows 10 from scrap on it, I checked Apps and Features and there are an amazing 15 HP-related programs installed and I really don’t need all that junk. Just extracted the Windows 10 product key on Saturday and today I’ll reinstall Windows on it.

Regards,

Sieghard