moderated Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

James Homuth

Here’s the situation. My PC is not as fast as it could be. It’s also going to be replaced just as soon as I have the financial room to do it. But it’s not unstable, by any means—just sometimes it likes to take a couple seconds longer than it should to do certain things. The problem is, and I notice this fairly consistently, JAWS likes to assume it’s the problem when my PC does that, and so will kill itself, try and restart, and basically throw me off of whatever I’m working on. I was right in the middle of reading something tonight, the backup process kicked in, and JAWS committed suicide. Keep in mind, JAWS was perfectly stable. My system was perfectly stable. Just the CPU had run up above 50% for a few minutes.

I’d stuck with 14 for as long as I did because of that “feature” (for those with them disabled, the word “feature” is in quotes), but the list of currently available programs that 14 will still actually work with gets shorter on the daily. So I upgraded. Admittedly mostly for Office 365 (my work uses Exchange, and the newer versions of Exchange don’t work with Outlook 2003), but being perfectly honest the ability to use things like Chrome doesn’t hurt either.

My question: have they invented a way yet to tell JAWS not to have such an inferiority complex? I mean I get it—2019 isn’t exactly a bug free release, but the biggest reason if you’re me for JAWS taking a dive isn’t because it’s having a problem, but because it’s assuming it’s having a problem. It makes finding the actual problem slightly more annoying than it needs to be—I do have NVDA on here, but by the time I get that loaded whatever hung the system and tripped JAWS up has stopped hanging the system and JAWS has tripped for nothing. Any suggestions, or are we stuck waiting to see if FS realises that not every issue can be solved by restarting the program, particularly when the program being restarted isn’t the issue in the first place?