moderated Re: images embeddedd in email messages?

If Jaws can see the image, have you tried to run Picture Smart on it?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: images embeddedd in email messages?

Ok, I didn’t realize that newer versions of Office were so inexpensive these days. I thought that you had to have a monthly subscription to these newer versions and that seamed silly when I don’t need a lot of the bells and wistles.

Some of the new stuff is just more, and not all that.

Where would I go to look for the newer versions. Do you really think that a newer version of the email client would be able to get to these embedded graphics?

I did find a setting in Jaws 2019 that does at least acknowledge that there is a graphic and it says it is in the local temp bla bla bla but I can’t seam to grab it, or coppy or save it at all.

The attachments save in office 2010 does not  scoup this sort of thing up in the save options.

I am using Jaws 2019 because I had to. I honestly am not as happy with it as I was with Window Eyes. IMO WE was a better product but… since it is gone I had to do something.

I am using windows 10 not because it is better but like you said it is what is being supported now. I think it is full of fluffy stuff but… mostly it works fine. Sometimes they just seam to change stuff for the sake of changing something, not to make it actually better but to make it different.

Thanks

Shannon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 11:19 AM

Yes, but there comes a time when software which is way past any update and support period simply will cause too many headaches, it will become insecure and you will ask questions about some issue which others have a hard time answering because you are using software which most others left behind 5 or 6 years ago.

I have multiple computers at work and my laptop at home as well as my iPhone and I use Outlook.com for my personal email. I stopped using Office 2010 as soon as Office 2013 offered native support for Exchange Active Sync accounts without me having to install the old Hotmail connector program first.

If it turns out that the Save attachments feature does not exist in Office 2010 and that Shannon could access all or even most embedded images and files using it if she used Office 365 and, as she said, she is missing important information by not being able to access them then I would say the statement “Why buy a new one when mostly this does the job?” is not such a good one because apparently it does not do an important part of her job. Keep in mind that I am just hypothesizing because I haven’t seen her emails with these embedded images, for all I know they are also not accessible in Outlook through Office 365. But in general my statement stands, at some point you have to move on and get away from older software. Shannon says she is using Jaws 2019 and I’m not sure if she is on Windows 10 or still on Windows 7, but the statement she made could also be applied to Windows and Jaws, I mean, if she is using Office 2010, why not use Windows 10 with Jaws 13 or even earlier, imaging all the money you could have saved not upgrading Jaws. Of course the same applies, eventually you have to get a new computer which nowadays means you get a Windows 10 computer and especially with version 1903 and what is coming this fall and next spring you really need Jaws 2019.

Best regards,

Sieghard

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of The Iowa Gal
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 7:25 AM

Right on, Shannon. I’m also using Office 2010. I think we all should remember that each one of us uses their tech in different ways under different circumstances and for different purposes. HTH Norma

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:50 AM

Because I own it. Why buy a new one when mostly this does the job?

I’ll try to see if there is a save atachments that will work on these embedded images.

Thanks for the idea.

Shannon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:39 AM

Is there a specific reason why you still use Outlook 2010? Usually I still hear that the email includes attachments if it has embedded images, maybe it’s not always the case, but when it does tell me I can save them with File > Save attachments.

Keep in mind that I use the most current version of Outlook via Office 365 and it’s been so many years since I have used Office 2010 that I have no idea if Save Attachments which saves all attachments whether attached or embedded exists in 2010.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:09 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: images embeddedd in email messages?

Hello,

It has come to my attention that I am missing important   information in emails because they are actually including this information in an image format imbedded into the email body.

With Jaws 2019 and Outlook 2010 I am getting no indication that there are any images at all.

Is there at the least a setting that I can/need to change to be notified that there is more in these messages beyond the body text and the typical signature junk?

Once I find these images, is there a way to get to them and save them so I can possibly use OCR on them?

Thanks

Shannon

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.