moderated Re: Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 06:35 PM, JM Casey wrote:
If Windows went the way of only allowing apps to be installed from the app store, I am pretty sure many of us would stop using Windows.
Not to mention they'd be killing the goose that has assisted in incubating the golden eggs.  I cannot foresee a time when desktop apps (formerly called installed programs) supplied by third-party makers will not be a huge part of the Windows 10 ecosystem.

Mind you, some of those makers are transitioning toward UWP apps distributed through the store, but those are mostly in addition to, not in replacement of, the installed type.

I have often said of Apple that they make great products, if overpriced, but I couldn't ever "go there" permanently because I refused to become one with the Apple borg.  There is but one way, the Apple way, and the ecosystems for every one of the operating systems they make are far more tightly controlled than I'm willing to accept.  Different strokes for different folks.

       ~ Lauren Bacall