moderated Re: Accessible Version of Visual Studio?

Munawar Bijani <munawarb@...>

Well it all depends on what you're trying to do. Why do you need visual studio specifically? If you share what language you're coding in I can point you to alternate but slightly less accessible software.

On Jun 17, 2019, at 2:52 PM, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:

I'm sticking with Windows 7 and JAWS 15, since they work very well for me. As for programs, what would be a fully accessible solution for my current configuration? I'd like a program that I can work with on any machine, where I won't have to install it, one that doesn't require me to have an account, and most important of all, won't take forever to configure!

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Munawar Bijani
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 11:00 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessible Version of Visual Studio?

Hi,

Ok, if cost is prohibitive for you, I would suggest switching to NVDA, installing Windows 10 and using VS 2017. Both NVDA and JAWS work really well with VS 2017 (though NVDA's performance is slower compared to JAWS' performance in this program.)

If you're in the US, you can get on the JAWS Home Annual program; alternatively, you can get JAWS Home at no cost to you if you're a university student and your university has a site-wide license for JAWS.

Try to find a way to upgrade to Windows 10 and install the latest VS (which is free by the way) before deciding definitely that you MUST stick to VS 2005.

Getting VS 2005 will be difficult since it has been dropped by Microsoft. Unless you have an MSDN account, you'll have to get a copy from someone who still has a copy of it and hope that they haven't injected malicious code into the program, and that they give you a registration key if it's not VS Express.

On 6/17/2019 1:35 PM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
I got my computer with Windows 7 back in 2011, and I got a free upgrade to JAWS 15, thanks to Freedom Scientific inĀ 2017. Unfortunately, JAWS 15 is the latest build my SMA allows me to run. As for Windows Updates, they cause my CD Rom drive to shut off after several hours, which makes JAWS turn into demo mode, despite the fact that I have an authenticated version with a valid license. It's a pain in the cushioned rear! My sighted friend, Markus Johnson (yes, that's "Markus" with a "K", not a "C"), is the one who tells me not to update that machine, since both of us found out the hard way what it does. In fact, it was Markus who formatted the wrong hard drive by accident, as we were going by drive letter, so the second time we had to restore the machine, we learned that you actually have to go by model number (like ST1000 or ST3500). And, I don't use the Internet with that machine, since I only perform music and audio recordings and beginning programming on it.