moderated Re: jaws quick / hot key
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
The hot key works excellent. Thank you for the help.
From: firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2019 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: jaws quick / hot key
You are correct, I could have sworn that at one point this was a permanent change.
Hi, Sieghard. This only works for the current session. If you restart JAWS or your computer, using SHIFT plus S does not make Speech Mute permanently the default behavior.
Just for your information, you can accomplish what you described also in the following way:
1. Press Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by S – this will turn on speech on demand
2. Now press Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by Shift + S – Jaws will say “Speech off set to speech mute”
3. Press Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by S again – Jaws will now say full speech and from now on when you press this layered shortcut it will toggle between mute and full speech.
If you want to go back to speech on demand simply repeat the above steps, first toggle speech to mute, then press the layered keystroke but with Shift + S and Jaws will say “Speech off set to speech on demand”, now the toggle is back between full speech and speech on demand.
Hi, Rick. In case all you want to do is to mute speech instead of unloading JAWS entirely, try the following,
1. Open Settings Center with INSERT plus six on numbers row.
2. Press CONTROL plus SHIFT plus D to load Default JAWS configuration.
3. In the search field, type
4. Arrow down to Less Speech Options.
5. Press SPACE BAR to toggle speech from Speech On Demand to Mute Speech.
6. TAB to OK, and press ENTER to save settings.
7. Now, INSERT plus SPACE, followed by S will mute speech instead of setting it to Speech On Demand.
Sorry for my constant inquiries but is there a short cut for turning jaws on and off? Something more quick than alt tabbing to jaws and hitting alt F4?