moderated Re: Jaws reading or indicating "all"

Rick Mladek

Hi Richard,

Also a problem with IE but everything is a problem with that browser. I dislike Edge and Crome so not a concern. I’ll notify the Jaws folks to have them look into this when I find the time…

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws reading or indicating "all"

I can confirm it is likely a Firefox issue since Edge doesn’t say the word “all” before those items either.

But, since I use Firefox I went and checked and yes it does say all.

But, I use DuckDuckGo as my home page, so I never deal with that as I am not a fan of google.

Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2019 4:27 AM

This is the information I am also hearing. I hear the word all, or sounds like all. This is only within the pc curser, not the jaws cursor.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:20 AM

This sounds like not an issue with Jaws but an issue with the website. I have come across many websites where some word or string of characters is spoken which visually is not there, but it is somehow part of the websites code and Jaws picks it up. Have you tried a different browser like Chrome?

Having said this, I just went to Google.com and clicked on this item “How search works” and I don’t hear Jaws saying anything extra, here is a portion of that site from Jaws speech history, I use Chrome as my browser and I use Jaws 2019:

heading level 2 How Google Search works

Every time you search, there are thousands, sometimes millions, of webpages with helpful information. How Google figures out which results to show starts
long before you even type, and is guided by a commitment to you to provide the best information.
same page link 

separator

heading level 2 Organizing the
heading level 2 content of the web

Even before you search, Google organizes information about webpages in our Search index. The index is like a library, except it contains more info than
in all the world’s libraries put together.
Link Learn more about crawling and indexing

separator

heading level 2 Instantly matching
heading level 2 your search
blank
In a fraction of a second, Google’s Search algorithms sort through hundreds of billions of webpages in our Search index to find the most relevant, useful
results for what you’re looking for.
lank
Link Learn more about Search algorithms
blank
separator
blank
heading level 2 Presenting results
heading level 2 in helpful ways
blank
To help you find what you’re looking for quickly, Google provides results in many useful formats. Whether presented as a map with directions, images, videos
or stories, we’re constantly evolving with new ways to present information.
lank
Link Learn more about useful responses
blank
separator
blank
heading level 2 We only sell ads, not
heading level 2 search results
blank
While advertisers can pay to be displayed in clearly marked sections of the page, no one can buy better placement in the search results.
lank
Link Learn more about how we make money with advertising

separator
blank
heading level 2 Always improving
heading level 2 your experience
blank
We know Search can always be better. That’s why Google engineers spend every day testing it, conducting hundreds of thousands of experiments every year,
resulting in thousands of improvements.
lank
Link Learn more about our rigorous testing
blank
visited Link Google
list of 4 items
Link Privacy
Link Terms
Link About Google
Link Google Products
list end
list of 2 items
Link Help
Change language or region Combo box Change language or region
list end
Link Learn more about how we make money with advertising

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2019 3:58 AM
Subject: Jaws reading or indicating "all"

Hi Everybody,

Here is an odd one, I turn on my computer and went into my internet browser, Mozilla Firefox. My homepage is set to google.com and I was just going down to see if anything new is on this page and a link I haven’t noticed before, how search works, was found. I clicked on it to see what they say about how their search works and I’ve noticed a very disturbing issue. As I arrow down, I hear “all” before each link or section. What is this? How do I get jaws n ot to read or say all before all as I move down through this information? This is new to me, I hope someone understands what I’ve come across. This is not the “say all” command. I actually hear the word, all, as it comes to a new link or paragraph or section of information.

This is also same on Internet Explorer and I am to believe with all browsers.

Thanks again,

Rick

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.