Re: Turning on DVS on a video link

Here is a little help article I found:

Activating described video on CBC Gem

Should you wish to activate described video on gem.cbc.ca, simply click on the "D))" icon which appears at the bottom of the viewing screen, as shown below:

Please note that the described video will only activate 5 - 10 seconds after clicking on this icon, so it is important that you click on it once (and only once), and wait.

Similarly, should you wish to deactivate described video, you will need to click on the icon once, and wait for 5 - 10 seconds for the change to take effect.

Of course this means clicking on an icon, but pressing D without the virtual cursor active will do the same as clicking the icon.

I found that described audio started playing almost instantly and pressing D again turned it off almost instantly, but I do have a very fast fiber connection and I assume they mention the 5 to 10 seconds in cases where people have a slower internet connection.

The below CBC Help webpage goes into a bit more detail and lists available keyboard shortcuts for turning described video on/off, also for closed captioning, turning volume up or down or fast forwarding/rewinding:

Tips for using the video player

I would still recommend you try the free CBC Gem app on your iPod Touch.

Best regards,

Sieghard