Re: Outlook, JAWS 17, and email attachments

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses so far. I wonder about the RTF issue. When I shift tab to go to the list of attachments, it reads me the message subject followed by “RTF message”. It does not, however, give me a list of attachments. I seem to get this no matter how the document is attached.

Cynthia Bruce PhD, MTA

Ethics Chair

Canadian Association of Music Therapists

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:41 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook, JAWS 17, and email attachments

I agree.  I have found the technique of:  /f, save all attachments, to be a good approach for regular use.  Rather than guessing, just do that short set of keystrokes and you are assured you have everything.  I have in the past missed attachments by relying on them to appear in that separate attachment window in the email.

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2019 8:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook, JAWS 17, and email attachments

There are cases when the sender can attach the document into the body of the text.  I think it’s when using RTF format.  I rarely see this, but some people like it because they can place an icon to the attachment in a specific spot in the text of their email.   For example, some sighted people do this because they want to show which attachment relates to a particular part of their message, especially if they are including multiple attachments.  I suppose others just do it because that’s the way their email client is set up.  In either case, I then go to the File menu in Outlook and select the option to save all attachments.  It’s not ideal, but it’s more efficient that wondering if you’ve found the attachments.   

Robin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:28 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Outlook, JAWS 17, and email attachments

Hi All,

I have recently encountered an issue with only some email senders. I have one particular person who sends emails with meeting agendas and minutes attached. When I read the email preview in my inbox, it tells me there is an attachment. However, when I open the message and try to backspace to open the attachment, it isn’t there. I have also tried insert + A to bring up a list of attachments, and I get a message telling me there are no attachments in the message. The only way to access the attachments seems to be if I save them first.

I am using JAWS 17, and we use Office 365 at work.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks so much,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce PhD, MTA

Ethics Chair

Canadian Association of Music Therapists

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.