Re: Question On Outlook Message Deletion

Tom Behler

Bill:

You’re right. …  I absolutely don’t want my messages in conversational view, and it seems that conversational view does not happen in my inbox.  In other words, I can delete individual messages from the inbox with no problem.

In fact, as I just replied, “show as conversations” is un-checked, which is the way I want things to be.

This is why I don’t understand why carbon copies of my messages in my inbox also get deleted from my sent file when I delete them from the inbox.

This has just started to happen relatively recently, so something in Outlook has changed.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question On Outlook Message Deletion

Hi, Tom. Have you considered not having your messages grouped into conversations at all? This is the way I use Outlook, and I never have messages deleted unintentionally due to complete conversations being deleted.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:34 AM

Sieghard:

This does not seem to work for me here.

I’m using Outlook 2016 in Office 365, Windows 10 version 1809, and the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Can you give me step-by-step directions for configuring Outlook to delete individual messages, rather than the entire conversation?

Once again, my problem is that when I delete my copy of a message I sent from the inbox, it gets deleted from my sent file as well.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:10 PM

Hi Tom,

As soon as you reply to a message it should be treated as a conversation and of course the same applies if the other person sends another reply or message. If I reply to a message and then right arrow I can then up arrow and even though I am in the Inbox I then see the message I sent which is located in the Sent Items folder.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 6:54 AM

Sieghard:

I think you are correct here.

My question is when and how do I use the right arrow key to expand the conversation?

I haven’t been able to find this option, at least so far.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 12:04 AM

Hi Tom,

I think what is happening here is that when you delete the message which you sent to yourself you are basically deleting the conversation and the conversation includes the message in your Sent Items folder.

Next time try to press the right arrow first to expand the conversation and then only delete the message you received and see if the sent message remains in the Sent Items folder.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 8:57 AM
To: jfw list <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Question On Outlook Message Deletion

Hello, everyone.

Occasionally, I will copy myself on an Outlook e-mail message, because the message is very important, and I want to be sure it has been sent.

Recently, I have noticed that if I delete the received message copy from my inbox, it is also deleted from my sent file.

Is there a way I can configure Outlook so that the message remains in my sent file, even though it has been deleted from my inbox?

I’m using the Office 365 version of Outlook 2016 with Windows 10 and the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.